Monday, August 16, 2010

How do I transition from co-sleeping to crib?

My 5 month will only stay asleep for the entire night in my arms. The initial attempt to put him in his crib around 10pm works out fine but he's awake about an hour later.


So, I then rock him and he falls asleep easily, however the minute I put him in his crib he wakes up. After a few attemps, I give up and bring him to bed with me..





Another thing that I'm having a hard time with is that when he's in his crib I still can't sleep. I keep worrying that he'll suffocate under his blankets, or somehow the cats will pry open the door and decide to cuddle with him.





So I kind of have to ';wean'; myself from him too.


Because I can't sleep without him. But I also know that he needs to be independent and sleep in his crib.





Another thing is is that he only falls asleeps with motion.. I always have to rock or nurse him to sleep. How can I get him to just fall asleep? Is he too young still?How do I transition from co-sleeping to crib?
Bless your heart for being such a good mother and for putting the needs of your little baby first.


First of all I want to tell you that you do not have a problem. It is totally unnecessary for a little five month old baby to know anything about being independent and sleeping in his own bed. What you have been doing up until this time is following your instincts and doing what felt natural to you. Well, guess what? You have been doing the exact, best thing in the world for you and your baby! I sense that this ';problem'; that you have is coming from a source other than you or your baby.


You say that you can not sleep without him. Why should you have to? You say that he is not happy unless you bring him to bed with you, then why not do it? This is one wonderful, delightful time in your life when what feels good is actually the right thing, the best thing! So often in life the right thing is also the very difficult thing to do. When it comes to being a successful breastfeeding mother this does not hold true. Do what feels good! Do what you and your baby want to do! First and foremost comes the needs of a nursing couple....that is what you and your baby are. The bond that exists between you is every bit as important and as real as when he was still inside of you.


When the time comes to put him in his own bed you will know and so will he.


Why on earth should you stress yourself out because of some idea that you should be doing something other than what feels right to you? After all YOU are his mother. It is your decision and no one has the right to tell you what to do. I never did understand the stories of sleep deprivation that bottle feeding mothers talked about. From day one my baby and I slept all night.....oh he nursed off and on and I changed sides now and then...changed diapers now and then...but for the most part we slept, and nursed and cuddled and slept. Each of my babies were given that special one on one time that each baby deserves. They slept with me until they, and I, were ready to move on.


One word about the cats....all 5 of my babies slept cuddled up with the family cats....they loved each other and there were never any adverse effects from this. Of course my babies were closer to 10 months old when they were sleeping in their crib...with the cats!


Enjoy this precious, short-lived time with your baby. All too soon he will be on his own, believe me. Before you can blink he will be walking out the door on his way to kindergarten. He is the baby right now, give him his time and his space next to you. He has the rest of his life to be independent but right now he is your baby and this is what he wants and needs. All three of my sons have grown into strong, big, handsome men and not a one of them ever had a moments problem with being independent. For that matter my daughters have been plenty independent also!


Relax. Trust yourself and do what you know is right.


Blessings to you


Lady Trinity~How do I transition from co-sleeping to crib?
Dont mean to sound rude but you shouldnt have started co-sleeping with him anyway, it might be hard to get him to sleep by himself.
Its definitly going to be hard for you both, since your little one is 5 months and probably has gotten use to you rocking him to sleep and of course sleeping near you. Its going to take a lot of patience thats for sure, and maybe some crying. I suggest you start now, so that way you can break this habit, but I really don't know what you can do besides let him cry for a bit. Good luck though.
What my sister did to get her daughter to sleep in the crib by herself was to put her in the crib by herself and then when she would cry, my sister went in the baby's room and laid down on the floor, no eye contact, no talking, nothing. Go back to bed when the baby falls asleep.


Your baby has to learn sometime how to fall asleep by himself.
It will be hard, and it will probably take awhile, but it's good that you do it now instead of when he's two and still can't sleep alone. Start by transistioning slowly. Move him first to a cosleeper or something near your bed. That way you can both be near each other, but it's not too much at once. Once he's comfortable there. MOve the crib to your room and have him sleep in the room with you, but in his crib. In a few weeks when he can make it there put the cib back in his room, and stay near by. After he makes that transistion he should be ok to sleep on his own. Get a good monitor for your peace of mind. Keep it slow and you'll both do fine. Good luck!
Based on personal experience, I'd say the sooner you get him to sleep on his own, the better.





I got my son into a habit of being rocked to sleep right from birth, and it was a nightmare to get him out of that habit. He may cry, and it will be hard for you, but believe me, it will get better. I have vowed not to make the same mistake with my new baby.





Good luck!
My 2month old only spent about 2 weeks with us on bed cause we didn't yet buy his crib and he's still fussy when it comes to falling asleep in the crib...I wish you all the best.
My little one did a similar thing as far as falling asleep in my arms. So, I would hold him with a bottle or a binky whatever until he fell asleep. I would then put him in his crib. Ya hear alot of people saying they need to fall asleep on their own or they wont learn to fall asleep in the middle of the night. They have PLENTY of time to learn how to fall asleep on their own. Mine still on occasion just wants to be held but 97% of the time, he goes right down (awake) and falls asleep on his own. He is now 18mo.If your little one wakes during the night, go in and assure him you are there and sing or rub his head. I have even stayed in the room and listened to him wimper for an hour at a time until he tires himself out. (the cry it out technique) Seems cruel but you are there to assure to him that you are there. Also, if you can, no rush, try to put him on a sleep schedule. Naps at 1 and 5 and crash at 8 or 9 for example. Depending on how many naps he has a day. This will help when he tries to get up an hour after he goes down. He will be more tired and his body will know the routine. It wont work at first but give it a try for a few weeks.


As far as the blankets, I would dress him in those footed sleepers (fleece) that way you dont need the extra bulk around him to keep warm. We have cats as well, and they have never shown interest in jumping up or getting into the crib during the day or at night. I think at first one did try but with the middle of the night crying, he quickly learned it was not a place for a kitty to take a nap.





In sum, I would trust your instincts. If you are still uncomfy being away from him, try it slowly but consistantly. They need repitition. Use a great baby monitor where you can even hear their movements and some you can have a tv to watch them. Take it slow. No rush, to you or them. Don't listen to what other moms are saying anout what you should or shouldnt be doing.


Good Luck!
I don't want to repeat what others have already said but here is something extra: If you're worried that he'll be too cold with just a sleeper but are worried about the blankets as well, try one of those sleep sacs. I still put my daughter in one and she's 9 months old. They can't suffocate in it and it will keep them warm since they can't squirm out from underneath it.


I agree with one of the others about moving his crib to your room to start - it may be easier for him and for you that way. Then you can move him back to his room once he (and you) becomes comfortable with his crib. And definitely put him in there for all his naps so he can get used to it. Good luck and don't forget that it will work out eventually, even if you have to go through some rough nights. He'll figure it out and he will get used to it - hang in there!
I bought the Baby Sleep System from www.babysleepanswers.co.uk. It really helped when I had similar problems
  • skin lyrics
  • love girls myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment