Thursday, August 19, 2010

How do I get the drawers open on an antique buffet?

I use my antique buffet which was passed down from my grandmother. Now all of a sudden the two drawers wont' open. The buffet is in my home with a/c in warm weather and heat in cooler weather. I have no idea how to open the drawers. The only explanation I have is maybe the wood is swollen and they're stuck shut? Please help me. Thank you.How do I get the drawers open on an antique buffet?
Did you check to see if you had a piece of paper stuck or something holding the drawers shut. I had a similiar problem and once I reached my hand up the back side of the drawers I found a folded evelope lodged in the side and holding the drawer shut.How do I get the drawers open on an antique buffet?
is is cold or warm in your house now? If it is cold, you might want to warm them slightly with a hair dryer keeping it a distance from the wood or using a small portable heater to warm up the room. If it is warm in your house, try cooling the room down. Then try opening them again. When they do get opened, take a bar of soap and rub it generously along the top and bottom of the sides of the drawers -- that will prevent that from occuring again. That is probably what they did in the old days of antiques.
has the humidity changed in the room? that would be one problem heat and cold shouldn't make a difference


have you moved the buffet at all? any shifting could have changed the ';squareness'; of the buffet as could shifting the weight distribution on or in the buffet ie: lighter stuff on one end than usual. try shimming different corners to see if the drawers will operate. once you get them open try waxing the tracks the drawer rides on
If you can get to the underside of the drawers you maybe able to tug them out as they are generally not as deep as the unit, so you will be able get you fingers behind them.


NB


You should empty it out first and have a pair of helping hands to hold it in the place or to do the tugging

No comments:

Post a Comment